Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Quantifying the PolitiFact Quants

There's certainly a lot of people out there scoring PolitiFact rulings... I'm finding more and more of them every day.  Presented and scored in different ways, in studies, articles and blogs, I think it may be time to add them as a special section to my PolitiFact Detractors page, though "detractors" are not quite what they are.
While I hope I'm one of the better ones, I do need to make the case.  I have probably looked at these rulings in the largest variety of ways, and have done so on an ongoing basis for quite a while (since 2010, when I started this blog).  I've looked at the score in terms of writer, topic, local versus national, by individual compared with other fact-checkers, etc.   I'm looking for patterns.  For example, if Republicans lie more, do they lie about every subject?  (No, there are some subjects for which they are more truthful than Democrats)  Are lies more ideologically based? (Yes)  Do some PolitiFact writers appear to favor one party over the other based on the Truth Index? (Yes) Most of the other PolitiFact quants have looked at them in terms of just the presidential contenders or Democrat versus Republican overall.  Some qualify their rulings as far as sampling/selection bias while others take the rulings at face value.
Straight Politi-Quant websites.  The website Who's More Full of Sh*t (authored by J. Kalgreen) graphically rates the same....with an ongoing feed from PolitiFact.  It uses a score heavily weighted to the negative rulings.  It also gives an overall Democrat versus Republican rating.  While it's a pure rating website, its website set up is quite sophisticated.  As noted by Benjamin "Brash Equilibrium" Chabot-Hanowell, "I seriously wish I could code CSS and PHP as well as J. Kalgreen [WMFoS author] can."
While a great site, Who's More Full of Sh*t might not be linked by PolitiFact because its name might offend some.
Instead of saying who's more "truthier" or "honest" it goes in the opposite direction--scoring zero for True down to 200% for Pants on Fire.  So if my conservative counterpart decided to try to troll-comment the site (which he can't because no comments are enabled) he'd have to complain that PolitiFact's selection bias is the cause for Democrats being less full of sh*t, or for Republicans to be more full of sh*t.  Because, you see, both are still full of sh*t.
Malark-o-Meter is more of the nerdy Nate Silver variety of  meta/probability analysis and in that respect is like no other PolitiFact quantifier.  A newer website based on (I'm guessing) Joe Biden's outburst at the vice presidential debate, author Benjamin "Brash Equilibrium" Chabot-Hanowell is interested in mathematically determining a possible "bias" factor as well as the probability of how much each claimant is prone to lie. He includes the Washington Post Factchecker rulings in his analysis as well.
"Serious" Studies.  I've posted about and often referred often to Eric Ostermeier's 2010 study of 511 PolitiFact rulings  where he concluded with the infamous selection bias statement.
The Center for Media and Public Affairs did a study of both PolitiFact and Washington Post Factchecker rulings but did not really reach any other conclusion ("[took] no position on their accuracy") as to why Republicans score as less truthful than Democrats.
And of course, the website PolitiFact Bias did a research paper on PolitiFacts False/Pants on Fire rulings, coming up with a percentage factor that I often use in my blog.    There are others who have looked at the Pants on Fire, some in a humorous way, or a lot like PolitiFact Bias.
Website Articles.  One of the very first to quantify PolitiFact's Truth-o-Meter rulings was the pseudonymous "Cinematical" at the Daily Kos, back in 2009....and arrive at the conclusion as so many that would follow, that conservatives were less "honest" than liberals.  There's also been several scorings at the Daily Beast, as well as a nice quant review by the New York Times' FiveThirtyEight.com (Nate Silver's blog).
Blogs.  Anyone math-oriented knew the moment they saw the Truth-o-Meter that it begged to be measured.  I imagine there's a lot more than just those mentioned here. So (besides myself), here's three very good ones:
In 2011, I came across the blog Quibbling Potatoes authored by Steve, who had some great ideas for categorizations of the rulings that I now use for my data.  He also had a name for his score which he called...the Truth Index.  While I don't think PolitiFact took the name from Steve's site, one can certainly say Steve had a bit of clairvoyance.  It's obvious he put a lot of work into his charts and graphs and it would be nice to see him do it again.
Pandering Politicians is a blog (turned website like PolitiFact Bias) by someone who calls himself "PanderBear" and the Truth Index here is called the "Truth Quotient."  He has a lot of charts, especially time trendlines, and begs people not to even read chain e-mails because of their dismal "TQ."  And of course, in one of the comment sections we see the ubiquitous question from my conservative counterpart asking what he does about selection bias.  No answer from PanderBear.  At least as far as I could see.
Allen Allermann in a namesake blog entitled "Random Human Neural Firings" did a quantifying review about the same time as Steve called "Who do You Trust?"  He scored PolitiFact rulings in the opposite direction that many tend to do--he gave higher weight to the True and Mostly True instead of False and Pants on Fire.  He uses a "sports" analogy for what Brash Equilibrium terms the report cards of those rated by PolitiFact; he calls them "at bats."
So there we have, including my own, about a dozen attempts to quantify PolitiFact rulings.  Perhaps two qualifiers can be added: (1) None of these websites/studies/blogs are affiliated with or approved by PolitiFact (as far as I know) and (2) all numbers should be interpreted with caution.  And if you come across any websites/articles/blogs that quantify PolitiFact's Truth-o-Meter rulings, please let me know in the comment section.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Add Content in Reality as blog:
http://www.contentinreality.blogspot.com/2012/01/supposed-politifact-bias-in-2010-non.html

Karen S. said...

I deeply regret neglecting Eric Levine's excellent blog. Altho I have some offsetting analysis to his conclusions (see my 12/6/2012 post).

Post a Comment