Sunday, August 22, 2010

Sidebar: People will say we're in love

Somehow, Bryan White found this blog.  I assume he looks at updates at Blogspot of new blogs pertaining to his area of interest, and mine came up.
“A new blog appeared recently by name of "Politi-Psychotics" and with the subtitle of "Because Bloviations aren't that Sublime."

The author, presumably Karen Street (based on the blatant similarity to her comments at PolitiFact's FaceBook page), has begun a series of criticisms of my criticisms of PolitFact. Despite the ghastly formatting of her blog posts, I'll probably bother to explain the problems with her criticisms from time to time.

Why anyone would bother to target the little-known commentary I publish is beyond me ... unless it's love."
When I saw his comments, I decided to change the permissions and block him and others while I developed the blog, and he caught that as well.

"Update:  Closed for remodeling?

Bryan: “Remodeling would be a good idea. As mentioned above, the formatting was so atrocious that reading the blog was a chore--not that I count Sublime Bloviations as a shining counterexample. The arguments presented there at the time I visited were horrible, so the lousy formatting perhaps served a useful purpose by protecting them from scrutiny. Though allowing readers only by invitation is arguably an even more effective method.”
Well, I’m a newbie to this blog thing. He’s been doing it a few years--I decided to start working on this blog very recently. But give me some time. As for my “arguments”—I think he should talk. He isn’t exactly a “shining counter-example” there, either. I wouldn’t even DO that part if he didn’t have such incoherent excuses (that are a CHORE to read as well) for why PolitiFact didn’t make a ruling he liked.  But, as I develop this blog, I do plan to document my own case that his arguments are just as *horrible* if not more *horrible" than mine.  Criticizing his blog commentary will only be a sideline venture.

And in view of his notice of the blog subtitle, I've changed it to something of my own, and to let him know it was just temporary.  I was doing some "dabbling" with setting up the design of it, and that particular subtitle just came to mind.

No, it’s NOT love, it’s more like Clarice Starling and Hannibal Lector…and Bryan is Hannibal Lector….


Postcript:  I do agree on Bryan's criticism of the formatting with regard to the margins.  The text editor does not publish the same as it looks in the "compose" stage.  When I initially published, I made up some stuff quite quickly in Word and copied the documents into Blogspot's text editor, just to see the blog in a draft stage, and did not intend it for public viewing. But I guess the concentration of work fed the blog to a public list of "who's blogging" and enabled Bryan to find it. I was also working with the "old" text editor, which was a mistake. The "new and improved" text editor is much better. So I expect as I learn how to use it, the formatting will get much better.

Post-post script:  Personally, I hated the "criticism of (Bryan's) PF criticisms"--I am working on a simpler way to do them, because they look tortuously complex, and as said above, I only want to include them on this blog as a sideline. So the ones done in haste have been removed until such time a template is developed.

No comments:

Post a Comment