Monday, March 12, 2012

Lil White Lies Extra: Nothing to See WHERE?

In December, my conservative counterpart  told Eric Levine of Content in Reality (in the comments section) the following:
…I've been busy conducting a study that objectively verifies PolitiFact's ideological bias. I've got all the information for the national operation collected and sorted, and I'm in the process of readying it for publication
As I posted in early February, I’m still waiting! It’s going on three months now, and PolitiFact Bias’(PFB) “Research” page still has “nothing to see here” (all it says is “Coming Soon.”) This was supposed to be THE objective, definitive proof of PolitiFact’s left-wing ideological bias, so you’d think Bryan White would be very anxious to publish his findings for all to see! Now all we have is another futile attempt to prove selection bias by PolitiFact: noting claims with a cynical “Nothing to See Here” that it thinks PolitiFact is not selecting because of its bias.
To provide some contrast to the selection process PolitiFact uses to choose its subject matter, PFB introduces a new feature: Nothing To See Here.

Posts in this series will feature claims a non-liberal might find interesting enough to fact check. While we won't be surprised if PolitiFact checks some or perhaps even many of the issues we highlight, we still anticipate a pattern of ignored stories that puts PolitiFact in the role of serving the political interests of the left.
OK, well, Politi-Psychotics can do that liberal style too. I’m still trying to find a humorous double-entendre to title the categorization: it could be something innocuous like a “Where’s THIS Fact-Check PFB?” all the way to something riské like “I’ll Show PFB Just Where It Can Stick This Fact-Check.”

Nevertheless, posts in this series will feature claims a non-conservative “might find interesting enough to fact check.” After all, as I’ve pointed out 26 times already (the list shows 25 but I haven't added the most recent one yet), there’s plenty in the “vast ocean" of PolitiFact's 5,000-plus statements that could be construed as showing a conservative bias, so that it could as easily be said (although I feel paranoid doing so), that “these put PolitiFact in the role of serving the political interests” of the right.

But I must commend the PolitiFact Bias page on Facebook. The page has almost 50 fans, including Ann Coulter wannabe Michele Malkin. Which brings me back to my initial thoughts about Bryan White: WHY? Why such a vendetta against PolitiFact? What did they ever do to him that put him on such a mission?  I mean, maybe 200 or more mostly lengthy, detailed (although often incoherent) and very scathing critiques of PolitiFact rulings in a blog called Sublime Bloviations; an additional  "PolitiFact Bias" blog single-sourced to bring together only conservative critics of PolitiFact, a Facebook page for the PolitiFact Bias blog (indicating his eliciting support from other PolitiFact detractors), his partnership with PolitiFact disparager Deff Jeff Dyberg, along with a steady practice of attacking liberal commenters on PolitiFact's Facebook page with what seems to be the goal of pushing them away from posting comments.  This is a pretty serious indictment. 

Someday we may know. In the meantime, I will shortly follow with a post of ten excellent statements by Michele Bachmann that PolitiFact never bothered to fact-check that will most likely not be part of "Nothing to See Here" for very obvious reasons.

No comments:

Post a Comment