When I found Bryan White’s *secret* blog, I was quite surprised at its, well, let me use his words:
“…the ghastly formatting of her blog posts…the formatting was so atrocious that reading the blog was a chore…”
There was more than just the headline page, he had done three posts of criticism directed at my blog. Well, that’s of course his right in this internet blogging world. I managed to read through this one without going blind, responding to my Lil White Lies: No Way CRA.
Of course, it was more about why I label my posts criticizing his posts as “Lil White Lies.” Little white lies are often “polite” ways of twisting words. If Bryan had a name during the Roman age, it would be Argumentum Maximus Ad Nauseum. He’s called me a crackpot and an occasional idiot in his secret blog; maybe I should add “Ad Hominem” onto his above Roman name.
I’ll just say, everyone tells little white lies. Bryan just happens to be better at it than anyone else; in fact, he’s one of the best. So it’s just a play on his last name…he entitled a post on me as “Politi-Psychotics: An obstacle course on the way to the truth” implying I was a liar….so what? Oh I’m sorry, that’s “tu quoque” and it’s a logical fallacy…my point is, it’s only “critical commentary"! I saw a Facebook comment once that really sums up Bryan: he can piss on your leg and convince you it’s raining. Maybe I’ll change the “Lil White Lies” label to “It's Raining Bryan" or "Is it Piss or Rain?"
So to return to my generalizing self, I’d like to quote another PolitiFact Facebook commenter Kirk Klingbiel from a conversation he had with Bryan this past summer : “…All things considered equal, however, you [Bryan] are no more an authority on truth than myself.” And quoting one of Bryan’s comments in response:
“….Dialog away to your heart's content. Are you suggesting that I should refrain from offering critical commentary?”
So I’m dialoguing away to my heart’s content, and, one more time, I’m not refraining from offering critical commentary. Bryan is no more of an authority on truth than me. Somebody (not me!) needs to lighten up.
Postscript: I will be adding something to my condensed Grading PolitiFact Critique table. In the Guidelines line, there will be a link to Bryan's criticisms of them, called "PolitiFact Excuses."

No comments:
Post a Comment