PolitiFact *advertises* to Facebook commenters that it would appreciate any suggestions. So I emailed the "Truthometer at PolitiFact" a few weeks ago, and asked them what they thought of the averages as I described in my previous post (although that is only the pundits--I have calculations on the non-pundits as well), and asked if there was any way they could be utilized.
We appreciate your support and efforts to make these calculations.
Our general orientation is not to make these calculations. The analogy is that a baseball umpire doesn't calculate his safe/out ratio or ball/strike ratio for different teams.
We feel we're doing a fair job, but we understand that what we do is subjective, and that many people may disagree with our calls or our perceived "bias." I would say that the numbers you found are generally pleasing to me (I can't speak for my colleagues). But ultimately, if one party lies more than the other, the numbers shouldn't be the same. But that won't drive how we judge items. We call them as we see them -- imperfectly, for sure, but reasonably well, in my view.
Anyway, thanks for writing...
All best,
Lou Jacobson
No comments:
Post a Comment